Thursday, May 1, 2008

Cracking eggs

I was at the hospital recently and decided to have breakfast while waiting for my appointment. The person ahead of me ordered a Western sandwich and I decide to do the same. The chef had a unique way of cracking the eggs. He dropped the eggs, shell and all onto the hot grill, one at a time. This caused me to recall an experience a couple of years ago when I was volunteering in an industrial kitchen. One of my chores was to crack 144 eggs/12 dozen into a bucket which would be used to make scrambled eggs the next morning. I initially started by cracking one egg at a time. After watching some of the cooks I could crack two eggs at once but could never reach the “pros” level when you can crack four eggs at once, two in each hand. Hmm, I wonder if anyone can crack more than four eggs at a time.