Monday, July 14, 2008

iPhone 2.0 Software Update

I like the iPhone 2.0 software update as it offers many new features and builds on the things offered in version 1.1.4. The ability to delete multiple messages at once, the “push” feature, improved map support; the scientific calculator and the AppStore make the negligible cost I paid worthwhile. Over the weekend, I downloaded four applications, Things (a productivity app), WeatherBug, Units, and Remote (controlling iTunes on your computer from your iPhone/iPod touch). A news release from Apple today said over the weekend 10 million applications were downloaded from the AppStore.

Getting the iPhone software was a bit of a challenge. It took me a while and a bit of frustration to learn the trick. I had assumed that once I had bought the software it would download automatically. This was not the case. Every time I tried to download the software the orange download icon would spin for three seconds and then disappear. A 225 megabyte download should take longer than three seconds. It could be that the servers were busy so I attempted the download a couple of times an hour without success. I checked the Apple discussions area and was pleased to learn that I wasn’t the only experiencing this problem. There is an expression that trying the same thing repeatedly and expecting a different result is a definition of insanity. On a whim, I tried something different and that was to plug the iPod touch into my computer at which point iTunes asked if I wanted to download the update. This was the trick. Sweet! The orange download icon spun for 15 minutes and the download was done. From this point on the upgrade was routine and I was finally happy and relieved to experience the new powers of my Touch.