Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Too much snow for some…

This morning on my commute to work I passed Alf. He was on his roof with a shovel trying to offload two feet of snow that had accumulated over the past couple of days. Alf was rightly concerned about the snow load of his roof. Earlier in the day in the hamlet of Westboro, near where I live and the home of MEC, a roof collapsed due to the weight of the snow. The family escaped but the house is toast. My first exposure to snow loads was when we were building my parent’s deck and had to build it in a certain way to meet the snow load standard published in a reference book. As I think about the snow load tables, they make sense given what recently happened in Ottawa. We are now within a foot of exceeding the 1970 record and strangely enough the locals are praying for another of foot of snow.