Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Toga

In a couple of weeks, I head south to Atlanta, Georgia for a conference with some of my student peers. I attended the same conference in Phoenix, Arizona last year and had a great time. I enjoyed the conference proceedings but one of the things that brought me back this year was the CEO Boot camp. The boot camp was two hours of high octane exercises, stretching and seeing how could do more of a certain exercise than the conference CEO. The exercises were made a little more challenging as it started at 600AM. This year they had added something new which has started to get me excited. For one of the sessions you have to wear a toga. I have never worn a toga. My initial thought was to just buy a white bed sheet and dress like Charlton Heston in Ben Hur or Julius Caesar. But I did a quick google search and found a site called http://www.howtomakeatoga.info. The site strongly recommends not using a bed sheet but to go to a fabric store and buy four yards of whatever material meets your fancy. I was talking to some friends and they suggested that I not buy purple. Purple is the royal color and it is what most folks would wear. I let my imagination run wild for a while and thought about blue pinstripes or something in blue at least. I could go with a red and white combination but those colors don’t usually work for me. To add a bit of authenticity I’ll wear my five fingers as the Romans always wore minimal footwear. As I write this I still can’t see myself wearing a toga but there is always a first time and it should be a blast. I’ll be one of 300 students all wearing multi-colored togas.