Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Flow/Fartlek workout - awesome

Tonight, we did out usually 11km fartlek workout backwards and something amazing happened. While at the running room I peeled off my running tights and decided to run bare legged. We set out running along the bike path that runs next to the canal. The speed demons took off midway through the run. Somewhere along the way they took a wrong turn while I stuck to the normal course. They would eventually catch up to me near the end of the workout and surge by. This happened at Dow's Lake. I was running at a good clip at this point and knew that if I stopped then the workout would be over. I went flying by the speed demons who were catching their breath. They didn't take nicely to me surging by. Rather than slow down, I sped up, it would take them 1,500 meters to catch me. They would surge and I would respond with a burst of speed. We surge back and forth a couple of times. My final kilometer was done in 3:42 which works out to a 5:57 mile. I didn't know I had such running speed in my legs this late in the season. It was an amazing experience to be running this fast. It sort of felt like being a pronghorn whose top speed is 61 mph (98 km/h).