Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Sweating in software

While out for my run along the canal (39F and rain) tonight I decided to let my mind wander and started to laugh about something that happened a couple of years ago at work. I was working with a new employee on a piece of software and English was his second language. This program contained a lot counters for counting things. He decided that he would spell the word count as cunt. Every time there was a count in the program he would use cunt. It made reading his program a tiny bit fun. I had mentioned that perhaps he should use another word as in English it is not a nice word. He was adamant that the word was fine with him. It got changed in the production version of the program only after we had a code review session and someone explained what the word meant.