Thursday, April 12, 2007

Minimed

Just as my calculus course has come to an end and I'm starting to study for the final exam scheduled for the end of the month, I have started another course. It is a minimed course at the medical school at the University of Ottawa. I have done the two earlier courses and when the opportunity to do the third course came up, I jumped at it. The curriculum is available at: http://www.minimed.uottawa.ca/eng/curriculum.html Tonight, we had two doctors talk about the anatomy, physiology and diseases and problems of the ear. My takeaway is that the ear is complex component and also home to one of the smallest muscles, the stapedius. The eustachian tubes are cool as they are used to maintain the pressure in the middle ear. One can look at the ear as being composed of three components, the outer ear, the middle ear and the inner ear. The cochlea is the hearing part of the ear which is located in the inner ear and the vestibular system is our "balance" component.