Tuesday, May 29, 2007

NCM half-marathon

2007 National Capital Half-marathon

Short version

1:34:13 377/7671 1935 KCalories
I like the new course and the earlier start time (0830 vs 1030). Really pleased with the race.
Bummers - yoghurt for 10,000 participants and no spoons

Long version

On Sunday May 27, I ran my second half-marathon of the year in Ottawa. I had run the PF Chang half-marathon in January under cold but under record-setting conditions. My goal for this race was to use some of the tips I learned earlier this year. The first tip was to really rest the day before the race and get plenty of sleep, a couple of days before. Also, Clif Gels when consumed at the right point in the race can help you boost your energy stores. Also, eat very well a couple of hours before race (three vs four bowls of Vector cereal). Finally, if you want to finish with a fast time you have to run fast and maintain your pace.

On Saturday, I checked out the course and noted the location of the finishing chute and walked the final 1,000 meters of the race. The final 1km has a couple of curves which make it difficult to know when you are getting close to the finish. Taking my own advice I had a leisurely day on Saturday. In the evening, I watched the 10km race and started to get excited about my own race (start )(first female start )(first male start ) (masses starting ) (first male finish ) (first female finish ) (masses finishing ).

I was up at 0600 on Sunday morning to start the fuel operation. Over the course of an hour, I ate four bowls of Vector cereal. It is through trial-and-error that I discovered that Vector cereal gives me enough fuel to run a half-marathon. I sipped on a strong cup of Starbucks Earl Grey tea as at this time of the morning I was still sleepy. After drinking a couple of bottles of water and voiding it was time to head over to race site. The conditions were overcast 12C/53F and threatening rain. I got to the race site early and checked my bag and headed over to the start line area. This year they were using the corral system to assign folks to various part of the start line based on their expected finishing time. I was in the second corral (1:31-1:45). I started with five other guys that I train with at the Running Room on Wednesday night. This was reassuring. I was surprised how few friends I had seen on Saturday only to find that most were doing the half-marathon. At 0830, the starter's gun went off and we were on our way. We headed west to run by Parliament Hill and then across the Ottawa River over to Gatineau, Quebec. We did a six mile loop that featured some of the more interesting parts of the city. I was really pleased that I had run the race course two weeks ago as I knew where to expect the hills. I felt strong at this point as I was able to maintain the pace that I had started the race at. We next climbed from the water's edge onto the Alexandra bridge and ran across the Ottawa River once again. You can look at the course as being a six mile loop in Quebec and six mile loop in Ontario. The Ontario loop is very familiar to me as I run along two both sides of the Rideau canal a couple of times a week. It is sort of permanently etched in my mind. The first three miles on the Ontario side went quickly and I eat a Clif Gel with caffeine at the turnaround point. The weather conditions at this point started to deteriorate as it we went from a spitting to a light rain. The rain was just enough to cool one down and not get went feet. The final three miles were a little challenging as I was getting tired and a little dehydrated. The gel boosted my energy level and also knock me out of my groove. I started to pick up the pace and again and was more eager to run by folks ahead. With one mile to go, I opened up with a sprint and went by a boatload of folks. I caught up with one of the guys I run with and surged by. To my surprise, my finish time was very close to the time I had run in Phoenix earlier this year. I spent the next little while drinking multiple glasses of water, gatorade, and a new Powerbar recovery drink. I grab a couple of sliced apples and bananas which were already turning brown from exposure. I was puzzled when I saw trays and trays of yoghurt but very folks eating it. Someone had forgot to buy spoons for 20,000 particpants. At this point, I was starting to get cold so I grabbed my bag and layered on the clothing and headed over to the university for a hot shower. I was really pleased with the race, my time and how I finished. I am looking forward to reducing my training and getting back to other stuff. There are two more half-marathons on the horizon this year. I race the Baltimore half-marathon in October and may be the Philadephia in November.