Saturday, September 1, 2007

Five fingers and the first mile

Today, I walked my first mile outside wearing my Five Fingers "surge" sandals. It was a nice day outside so I walked over to the pool for my swim workout. I tried to spend a much time walking on the grass as possible. I know from my running that the worst surface for running on is cement and then as asphalt, which is a little better. The sandals felt light, cool and very comfortable. One thing I had to do is actively keep my toes pointing slightly upwards. Jason has been wearing them recently and was finally able to get them to work for him as they are a fun shoe to wear. The plan is to gradually increase my wear time so that I give my muscles a chance to grow and adapt.

This raises a good question, could I see myself running a 5km or 10km in my five fingers, the answer is maybe. When you run twice your body weight is placed on each foot for a moment while you go through a running stride. I've had a fair number of tibia stress fractures in my running career so a little reluctant to be risky but we will see.

Jason talked about hiking in his Five Fingers which I think would be an interesting experience as you wouldn't need to carry socks which would lighten the load. I hope that we can do something like this in the future.