Friday, August 10, 2007

Research finished. Hooray!

A couple of entries ago I talked about the research study that I was taking part in at UOttawa. The project was to analyze the thermal stress that a miner would experience during the course of a normal day. As the mines get deeper and deeper in the ground the conditions get hotter and hotter. The research involved three exercise sessions at 25C/77F, 30C/86F and 40C/104F. In all cases the humidity was at 20% so sweat would evaporate. Each session had three parts, the setup, the exercise and the unpacking. All of the exercise sessions were done on a recumbent bicycle in a calorimeter which is a highly climate controlled environment. Getting ready for each session took about 20 minutes. I had four skin temperature sensors on my back and legs. Internally, I had a tympanic (ear), esophageal (nose/throat) and a third one somewhere else. On my back I had a sweat capsule that would measure my sweat rate. Around my chest I had a heart monitor strap and a blood pressure cuff on my arm. On my other arm I had a blood flow sensor that would measure blood flow by shining a laser beam into one of my blood vessels. Finally, I wore a mask that would monitor my breathing rate, oxygen-carbon dioxide ratio and bunch of other breathing measures. One I was all connected up I would spend an hour in the chamber doing nothing. It was a good time to catch up on babble. I would take blood pressure and heart rate measures every 15 minutes. At the end of the hour I would cycle for 90 minutes at a low resistance. The resistance would simulate the energy expenditure that a miner would experience during an average work day. At the end of the cycle, I would take heart rate and blood pressures measurement every five minutes for 30 minutes. Once the cycling was over I would sit for an hour and play babble again. The final part was doing a maximal blood flow measure. The theory is that as you sweat your body reduces blood flow to the core and sends more blood to the skin for heat radiation and sweating/evaporation. The blood flow meter would track the blood flow rate over the course of the 3.5 hours. The final part was unhooking and removing all the sensors at the end of the session. In the sessions at 25C and 30C I was exothermic as I was heating up the chamber by cycling. When cycling at 40C I was endothermic as the chamber was heating me up as it was a couple of degrees warmer than my body temperature. In all the sessions my heart rate and blood pressure were slightly elevated and the only time I sweated was when cycling at 40C. I had initially that that working out at 40C would be a challenge but under a low humidity was quite pleasant. The researcher will be sending me a summary of the results in a couple of days so I will post the findings.