Monday, June 11, 2007

Butt Evacuators

Butt evacuators are topic that I have wanted to blog about for some time. These guys have been on my mind for quite some time. I guess it was one of the first things I noticed when I started working at the research facility. Every morning, I would see them with their gasoline powered vacuums sucking up discarded cigarette butts. The butt evacuator looks and sounds like a leaf blower but it sucks up things, rather than blowing them away. I would usually see them again after lunch sucking up more butts. The butt evacuators were two portly identical twins. One of them was more rotund than the other. They would have to butt evacuate the perimeters of 15 buildings that make up the research complex. Through spring, summer and fall they would be out there sucking up butts. After a while they changed their schedule so I didn’t see them quite so often. Then they had the cleaning staff walking around the building sweeping up the butts. While walking to work recently, I could hear this roar in the distance, they were back, the butt evacuators had returned and they were busily sucking up butts again.