Sunday, June 3, 2007

Cycling, geocaching and rabies...

On Saturday, I went for my first cycle of the year and it was to Dairy Queen, on the other side of the Ottawa River, in Quebec. I was excited. It could have been that I was at Dairy Queen or my inaugural cycle. As I think about it, it was likely the cycle.

Today, I searched out a handful of new geocaches that were slightly out of the city. The plan is to go for progressively longer and longer cycling workout to build up my legs for a cycling tour in early August. I tried out my new camelback with my REI backpack which has a pouch for the camelback. The combination works great and now, I realize what I was missing out on during my Shenandoah hike. The camelback keeps your back cool while cycling and gives you hydration on demand.

At my second geocache, I met my first raccoon of the year, who I think was rabid. Raccoons are nocturnal and think one was walking along the trail in broad daylight, he looked emaciated and looked as if he had lost all of his inhibitions. He looked a little freaked out. I let him walk by using the bike as a barrier. On my way back from finding two other caches, I got my first flat tire of the year as I was cycling along a corduroy road. I brought along a spare tire, the tire levers and a pump so, I was back in business in about 15 minutes.