Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Sore, tired, stiff and Adirondacks

Tonight, I did my first interval workout of the year in the arboretum. It took the form of a 25 minute warmup followed by 4*1km intervals on 90 seconds rest. It was great to be back in the arboretum again as we run around a 1,000 meter loop that features cinder underfoot which gives a great spring when you run on it. The conditions were a hot and sunny 88F. The cool down was a 30 minute jog along the Rideau Canal back to the UOttawa campus. As I write my legs are warm, sore and stiff.

At the end of the month, we have a holiday called Canada Day on July 1. Since it falls on Sunday this year Monday is a holiday. I'll be heading over to the Adirondacks for a long weekend hiking trip. It will give me a chance to try out a new summer sleeping bag, inaugurate my new REI tent and to try out the camelback-backpack combination for hiking. As well, I'm hoping to buy a stove whose fuel comes in a canister. We should have two solid days in which we can ascend at least two mountains. I recently developed this urge to become a 46r. It will involve a fair amount of hiking as you have to climb 46 peaks in the Adirondacks.