Friday, June 22, 2007

Windows

My parent's live in an old house and over the past couple of years we have been replacing the windows. Taking out the old wooden ones and replacing them with vinyl insert windows. They open at the bottom and the top and you can clean both sides of the window from the inside. This is handy. No more getting out the ladder to wash the outside of the windows. Today my father and I cut out two of the final four old wooden windows. I'll cut out the remaining two over the next couple of days. The vinyl inserts are being made at the factory now and we will install them in a couple of weeks. It is fun getting out all the power tools and getting covered in saw dust. It is a satisfying experience. My brother and his son are heading to my parent's place tomorrow and it will be great to catch up with and have a couple of BBQs.

The planning for my first Adirondacks trips is coming along slowly. Next week, I have to head to MEC to buy a summer sleeping bag and some freeze dried, just add water meals. The plan is to head down early Friday morning and to get in a short hike once we get to Lake Placid. I'll be hiking with 15 other folks and so, the other cars will be arriving throughout the day. We will set up a base camp at Adirondack Loj where they have car camping and to use it as our trailhead. The plan is to have two long hiking days, Saturday and Sunday. Monday is a holiday so hopefully we can climb another peak. Hmm, four days and three peaks is most likely to ambitous. I'll have a better feel when we have our group meeting on Tuesday. I'm looking forward the adventure...