Saturday, March 17, 2007

Geocaching and foxes...

Today I did something that I haven't done for a while which is to go geocaching. The winter weather has meant that not many geocaches have been put out as it has been too cold. In the cold weather the batteries in the GPS freeze which shortens the battery life. As well, if you take off your gloves to sign the log book you can get frost nip easily. Today was a warmer day and I was able to locate two geocaches in the boomies of Ottawa. I had a really interesting experience as I was leaving my first find. The cache was in a valley along the edge of a river. Just as I was nearing the top of the hill I spotted a red fox ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Fox ) darting away from me. I was expecting to see deer but the fox was kind of neat as I haven't seen one in a couple of years.